04 May 2012

Cinnamon-Sugar Pull Apart Bread

I woke up early on a Friday morning and felt inspired (ok, maybe that was hunger speaking) so out came a mixing bowl and goodness began! 

 How is that not calling all of you! "Eat me"

If only I could send you a smidgeon of the glorious scent that filled our new apartment while this was baking. Mike kept asking if it was done yet. He's just like a little kid! 

After having some of this goodness Mike commented on how great it would be to take to a get-together or party. We always have a BBQ with other players on the football team and I think this might be coming with us this year. 

So here is my confession with this recipe -- this was my first time using yeast and I was really nervous. For some reason I've always been intimidated by it but it was nothing to even worry about!  

Cinnamon and Sugar Pull-Apart Bread
Dough
2 3/4 cup divided, plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 eggs (at room temperature)

Filling
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 Tbsp. butter, melted

Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside. 

 There is yeast in there!! (Excuse my excitement)

Melt butter and milk in a small sauce pan. Once the butter is completely melted remove from burner and add in water and vanilla. Let cool for 5 min. 

Pour the cooled milk mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well. Beat the eggs and add them too -- keep mixing. 

Add in the 3/4 cup flour and mix well. If this is very sticky--it's perfect!  

Place the dough in a medium sized greased bowl. Cover this with wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 30-45 min. 

The dough should about double in size. Now kneed in 2 Tbsp. flour and cover again, allowing it to rise again for about 5-10.

While that is rising away start on the filling. Mix sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl. 

Once the dough is ready to go roll it out on a floured surface. Brush (or spoon and awkwardly spread if you can't find your brush) the melted butter over your rolled out dough. Cover it all really well with the sugar mixture. 



Now cut the bread into about 2 inch strips using your pizza cutter. Again cut those strips into equal sized squares. 

Stack the bread and place it into your greased pan. I used a deep glass pie pan but you could use a bread pan too. Cover the dough and let rise for 10-15 min. 



Preheat the oven to 350.

Sprinkle the rest of your sugar over the top and pop this in the oven for 30-35 min. 

Let cool for just a min and enjoy!  



We got a little excited and maybe grabbed a few pieces before they were cool yet. We had to play to 'hot food in mouth' game. What would you do with something that good in from of you?? 

1 comment:

  1. oh. my. yummy-ness. That looks DELISH! I need to make that. You go girl. I used to be scared of yeast too, until I made homemade pizza dough for the first time. Now I make it all the time and love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from anyone who comes to visit!